February Chapter Meeting & Breakfast
February 2 @ 8:00 am– 10:15 am EST
Building Accessibility Into Events: What Are You Responsible For? What Should You Be Doing?
Planners, organizations, venues, and cities are all responsible for ensuring accessibility at their events and in their event spaces. Join the PCMA Greater Philadelphia Chapter on February 2nd to learn about the various types of accommodations event professionals should be considering, how to proactively plan for accessible events, legal responsibilities, communication, and more. Seasoned event professionals will share their knowledge on this topic and their work in creating accessible events.
Speakers include the following:
Moderator: Mariellen Diemand Morris, Senior Director of Conferences and Membership, Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R), PCMA PHL Board Member
Speaker: Joshua L. Grimes, Esq., Grimes Law Offices, LLC
Speaker: Sheila Hess, City Representative, Office of the City Representative, City of Philadelphia
Speaker: Lakshmee Lachhman-Persad, Founder, Accessible Travel NYC
Speaker: Amy Nieves, MHR, Executive Director, Mayor’s Commission for People with Disabilities, Office of the Mayor, City of Philadelphia
Click here to read the speakers’ bios.
* Learn how to proactively build accessibility into events (e.g., event design, RFPs, budget, registration)
* Review the types of accommodations and legal responsibilities
* Discuss communication strategies for both collecting accessibility needs and confirming accommodations
* Hear how cities/buildings are conceiving of accessibility in their spaces
8:00-8:30 AM | Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30-8:45 AM | Opening Remarks
8:45-10:15 AM | Moderated Panel Discussion
- Membership to the PCMA Greater Philadelphia Chapter is not required to attend. Guests are welcome.
- If you are not a member, click here to learn more about membership.
- If you are a member of PCMA, but not a member of the Philadelphia Chapter, please contact [email protected] to add the Philadelphia Chapter to your account. The cost to add a chapter to your membership is $30.00.
- Please note: All attendees will be required to show proof of a negative Covid test taken on Wednesday, February 1 or the morning of Thursday, February 2, 2023. Attendees will be required to show a photo of their negative test upon check-in to the event. This test can be an at-home test or rapid test. Registration refunds will be provided if you test positive. 15-minute self-tests will be available at registration if needed.
- Early registration closes on Monday, January 30. After that, only onsite registration will be available.
- The hotel will provide a 25% discount off valet parking rates, currently listed at $54.00. Other options for nearby parking are available under the parking tab at this link. Another option for discounted parking is https://spothero.com.
- Questions? Contact Erica Keagy, Managing Director, PCMA PHL at [email protected], 610-220-1232.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS AND HOST!
A note from the Community Service Committee: This year the focus of our community service efforts will be on Philabundance. Philabundance was founded with the simple belief that no one should go hungry while healthy food goes to waste. Their mission is to drive hunger from our communities and to end hunger for good. In addition to food distribution, they strive to reduce food waste, increase access to nutritious meals, and tackle the root causes of hunger through programs such as the Philabundance Community Kitchen. On February 2, we will learn more about this organization and how PCMA PHL will support it in 2023.