- This event has passed.
Education Day & Trade Show
September 7 @ 10:00 am– 8:15 pm EDT
Please join us for Education Day on Thursday, September 7, 2023 at Convene Commerce Square in Philadelphia! This year, Education Day will include a trade show with over 40 exhibitors from CVBs, hotels, AV companies, exhibit and transportation companies, and more. Also included is an afterparty for all attendees at the Pyramid Club. It’s a full day with opportunities for education, networking, socializing, and fun!
11:00am-12:30pm: Education Session I
12:30pm-2:30pm: Networking Lunch and Exhibits
2:30pm-4:00pm: Education Session II
4:00pm-6:00pm: Networking Reception and Exhibits
6:15pm-8:15pm: Afterparty at the Pyramid Club
Education Session I:
PCMA Best in Class Speaker: Aurora Dawn Benton, DBA, Founder, Astrapo
Go Rogue: Making Diverse and Local Procurement Possible
When it comes to making events more inclusive and welcoming, supplier diversity and buying local are the key to making an impact in host communities. Unfortunately, there are significant barriers to driving real change: costs, contracts, and capacity. After years of pushing for change, and being impatient with the lack of results, a cohort of industry change makers, led by Dr. Benton, convened to identify solutions. Their restlessness and urgency are what led to the mandate to GO ROGUE!
- Learn how to use this framework to understand and overcome barriers and transform the industry.
- Consider how supplier diversity can lead to more inclusive and welcoming events.
- Explore how to confront the barriers and lack of access for many to participate in events and the hospitality industry.
Networking Lunch and Exhibits:
Enjoy lunch on our trade show floor! This is your opportunity to mix and mingle with our incredible exhibitor partners. A list of exhibitors attending this event can be found here.
Education Session II:
Speaker: Rich McLaughlin, MA, Principal, McLaughlin Consulting Services
Effective Teams and Fully “Showing Up” to Work
During this session, Mr. McLaughlin will use presentations and small group work to provide leadership and coaching skills related to connecting with colleagues and building teams, showing up fully for our roles at our organizations, participating in meaningful work, and innovating.
- Learn how to create trust and “psychological safety” in our teams.
- Consider what it means to “fully show up” each day (the opposite of “quiet quitting”).
- Explore the role of improv in learning to be a better team player.
Reception & Exhibits:
Join us for a reception on our trade show floor. This is another opportunity to connect with our exhibitors.
All Education Day & Trade Show attendees are welcome to attend an afterparty at the Pyramid Club, hosted by Metropolis Passenger Logistics and the Pyramid Club. The Pyramid Club is located at 1735 Market Street, 52nd Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19103. It is a 6-minute walk from Convene. There is no fee to attend, but registration for Education Day is required.
Hotel Room Block:
A discounted room block is available at the Motto by Hilton Rittenhouse Square. The booking link is PCMA PHL Education Booking Link, or search Motto by Hilton Rittenhouse Square, enter the date of your stay, and then enter group code 90D in the Special Rates section. The cutoff date is August 30.
- Membership in the PCMA Greater Philadelphia Chapter is not required to attend. Guests are welcome.
- If you are not a member, click here to learn more about membership.
- If you are a member of PCMA, but not a member of the Philadelphia Chapter, please contact [email protected] to add the Philadelphia Chapter to your account. The cost to add a chapter to your membership is $30.00.
- Early registration closes on Monday, September 4, 2023, at 8:00am. After that, only onsite registration will be available beginning at 10:00am on Thursday, September 7, 2023.
- Click here to register or click on the blue button below.
Thank you to our host and sponsors!
A Note from the Community Service Committee:
This year the focus of our community service efforts will be on Philabundance. Our committee members will be at Education Day asking for monetary donations. We have made it very easy to donate via a QR code that takes credit cards or PayPal, as well as cash donations onsite. We look forward to your support this year.
PCMA PHL has been approved by the Events Industry Council (EIC) as a Preferred Provider of the above-listed continuing education course, which qualifies for CMP continuing education credit. Determination of continuing education credit eligibility or Preferred Provider status does not imply EIC’s endorsement or assessment of education quality.
If you plan to claim education credit, please register for this meeting with the same email associated with your EIC account. You will receive an automated message to claim credit after the meeting when the final attendee roster is uploaded to the EIC.
The education credit total for these sessions is 3.0 hours.